OZGT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Monthly Competition

4 posters

Go down

New Monthly Competition Empty New Monthly Competition

Post by Arckon Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:37 am

Hi you blokes.

Am looking at running during Jan, Feb , March etc a course making competition.

I was using this for the first time properly the other night and although it is not what we were all hoping for, with a little bit of effort some excellent tracks can be made (pity they didn't include much more environmental objects, even if you just randomised like the rest of the track maker).

So this is how I am looking at it working.
Each month we will build a course on one of the different themes and I will list what is trying to be achieved by the track you create eg: I am looking at making Feb a "Driveable" Madness Track", ie: lots of jumps etc, all tracks will be judged by a criteria listed each month and provided we get a certain amount of different individual forum members to submit a track, there will be an extremely nice fully tuned car worth up to $800 000.

On the first Saturday Night of the next month we will have a Saturday Night Madness run where the top 3 tracks from the previous month will be downloaded from the winning members and we'll run some non serious (have a few brews) races, again around differing themes depending on the track.

Ok so there is the intro of what I am intending, next post will contain details of the Jan course making competion and I would like 2 other volunteers to help me judge and test the tracks (although am more than happy to do this myself if no volunteers forth coming, simply thought it may give a fairer result).

Last edited by Arckon on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Arckon
Arckon
Track Owner
Track Owner

Back to top Go down

New Monthly Competition Empty Re: New Monthly Competition

Post by Arckon Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:38 am

Ok, so for January,

Since we are here to race, will be looking at creating a decent race track.

Setting: Eifel
Max Track Length: 6km
Type: Circuit
Time of day: Your Choice
Sectors: Would suggest 3 or 4 but your choice as long as not over 6km.

Criteria will be looking at when Reviewing the Track:
1/ does the track inspire you to re-race the circuit.
2/ are there memorable sections of the track.
3/ is the track safe (safety is an itegeral part of real course track design)
EG: a blind hairpin positioned on the very summit of a mountain top. This will be suitable in future differing track designs like Feb etc.

Surprisingly you won't be able to just generate a track, test run, and there you go in 5 min, you will need to make adjustments. In the next post I will put up some hints and tips for as quick as possible achieving the results that will make a good race circuit.

Once you have created your track save it your tracks list, with a suitable name, make sure you mark it to be available for download. for your friends.

Then make a post here with the name of your track, and I will download it from your track list and put it through its paces. When you post the name here also include a brief description of the Signature corner/feature of the track.

NB: If we have 6 individual members submit tracks there will be a prize of a fully tuned car up to the cost of $800 000.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Arckon on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Arckon
Arckon
Track Owner
Track Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Arckon Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:39 am

Reserved for winning tracks info
Arckon
Arckon
Track Owner
Track Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Arckon Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:39 am

HINTS and TIPS
1/ When you first generate your track check the topography. The smaller the circle the closer you are to the summit of the mountain. Hairpins and tight turns in these places probably to be avoided.

2/ By checking the topography first you will save yourself plenty of time by not actually taking a car on the track to test.

3/ For a race circuit best to probably set the complexity to between 4 - 7. For three sector tracks I would normally set two of the sectors higher and one lower complexity.

4/ Once you are happy with the track you have tested hit the test run button and drive a few laps to get a feel for the different sectors. You can then adjust either complexity (this can sometimes effect the sector ajoined to it slightly) or fine tweek the coarse by using the sharpness setting.

Last edited by Arckon on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Arckon
Arckon
Track Owner
Track Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:11 am

Sounds good Arckon. Will give you a hand when needed, the only problem I see with this is Can others drive on your track? Can you load them into a private session? I can do some testing with you in the next few days.
I ask these questions as I have not touched the build a track yet. I like your thinking outside of the square. Well Done!!!!
Paul
Paul
Charlie Sheen
Charlie Sheen

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrow5 Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:10 am

dont quote me on this, but i dont think you can host a race on the tracks created in the track editor. you can do time trials on it, i think maybe add some AI, but multiplayer is not an option.
mcrow5
mcrow5
Track Official
Track Official

Back to top Go down

Post by rinkly at 72 Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:30 am

you could be correct maca i made a track but can not get it to go to lounge room
there is not much point to it if you can not share it.
rinkly at 72
rinkly at 72
Track Official
Track Official

Back to top Go down

Post by Arckon Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:24 am

mcrow5 wrote:dont quote me on this, but i dont think you can host a race on the tracks created in the track editor. you can do time trials on it, i think maybe add some AI, but multiplayer is not an option.

Arrrgh that may be the case Mcrow and Rinkly, I did know you can do time trials and even run against others ghosts (except the person who created the track can not run against the ghosts for some reason).
Will look into that more fully we may have to look at turning it into a hotlap type comp. Possibly the best track of the month added on as one extra event in the regular monthly hot lapping comp.

Ok will update the above posts some more later I emailed the above to myself from work as was quiet today so just a quick cut and paste job when I got home.

New Years eve awaits see you all in the next couple of days, have a good new years all.
Arckon
Arckon
Track Owner
Track Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Arckon Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:27 am

I have one track avail on my track list for you all to download (Arundel Hills Raceway) that I created when considering all of the above, and a 1 lap replay in my movie theatre, suggest you watch from cockpit view to get a better impression of the track.

I will look at Youtubing the lap if I can work out how to export the replay, shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Arckon
Arckon
Track Owner
Track Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum